Monday, March 14, 2005

The Father and the Son.

Episode for Mar 11, 2005, Friday. One might not have chosen one’s biological parents, but the spirit is the true man, the true identity. The true father, therefore, is the father of the spirit, not of the body. And the soul that seeks the Light and walks in the Light is a Son of the Light. The one who treads the path of Darkness is a Son of Darkness. “You can go ask Dakila if you want,” Ravenum dared Aguiluz. “He would only tell you the same thing.” The Sugo staggered to his feet, bleeding profusely from behind. His spine hurt unbelievably and he could barely stand up straight. The body was utterly broken, and the spirit was not far behind. Everything about Aguiluz now lay in ruins. Even his identity was shattered, like the walls and pillars his magic sword had reduced to powder earlier. Niwalum and Pagaspas had witnessed and heard everything from afar. He dispatched his kite to the Sugo’s rescue. At once it obeyed and flew to Aguiluz’s feet. The Mulawin stepped on it as if it were a surfboard, and the kite whisked him away to safety while Ravena soldiers chased him. The two boys followed him, with Gus carrying the fruit, who said, “Now I’m losing strength also. I must give you my power and use it on the enemy.” He transmitted a dense mass of energy into Gus’ hand, who asked, “How do I use it?” “Point it at them.” Gus did so; he pointed his fingers at their pursuers so that a laser-beam hit them. The Ravena were blown to bits. “I was right to take off his ugatpak,” Ravenum insisted. “Who is he to refuse me? Who is he to say no to me, his own father? Even if he is my son, if he will only be a hindrance to my plans, it would be better for him to be gone!” Gabriel could have easily applied those words to himself. He was now beginning to realize what it had taken Rasmus ages to see: Ravenum cared for no one but himself and his own crazy ambition of world dominance. Everything and everyone else was a means to that end. He would use everyone; he would lie to everyone; he would kill anyone who got in his way. “Was what you told him true?” he asked. Ravenum nodded. “Yes, it is true. You are brothers. Forgive me for not telling you. If the book of prophecy had not told me, I wouldn’t have known either.” “I’ve known him since our days in Tierra Fuego,” Gabriel said, reminiscing. “I never even felt anything. We were always rivals, as men, as bird-men, as Sugo. We were always being pitted against each other. But I never felt anything.” “Do not let this affect you,” his father warned. “Think of Alwina. Who has her now? Isn’t it you? And she is a Ravena now like you!” Such was Ravenum. Before he did not even want her around, but now he could see she had her uses. In Lagaslaw, Habagat and his son had rejoined the others to report their encounter with Linang, only to find that the men there had likewise been attacked by their women. But there were more arrivals. The kite had very wisely brought Aguiluz to their camp, or perhaps it had followed Pagaspas and Niwalum. “Look, the Sugo!” Habagat cried. “The Sugo has been hit!” The others hurried to receive Aguiluz and lay him down on a makeshift bed. Gus did the narration while Niwalum rested in a corner. A stuttering Gus recounted the day’s battle then, but stopped short of telling them what Ravenum had said. “It would be better if Aguiluz said it himself,” he argued. While Aguiluz lay on the stretcher, the others gathered around him. “When you get better, we’ll go look for Bagwis and the others,” Habagat told him. But Aguiluz replied, “My wings are gone. My ugatpak is gone. And you still expect me to recover? You still expect me to join your search? I’m so tired of fighting and everything else. There comes a time when a man simply has had enough and he gives up. I’m there now.” “Don’t lose hope,” Dakila said. “You’ve already come this far.” Aguiluz cast a sideways glance at him. What a hypocrite and a liar. All of a sudden, Aguiluz hated him. “That’s easy for you to say because you aren’t in my shoes,” he said. Then he gestured weakly towards Niwalum. “He is the fruit of the tree.” Every man’s jaw dropped. Dakila, too, was startled. “The Sugo’s mission was successful! He was able to recover the fruit of the Mulawin tree!” “What do we do with it then?” inquired Habagat. No answer from Aguiluz only silence. “Is something bothering you?” asked Dakila. “I can see it. Let it out, Aguiluz, so you will feel better. What is bothering you?” The Sugo heaved a sigh. “My life. My identity. We need to talk about my life, Dakila.” It was a moment the elder Mulawin thought would never come. With the battle over, Alwina was about to retire to her quarters when she ran into Savannah who began to harass her. “Some nerve you’ve got claiming to be the new princess around here!” said the latter. Alwina retorted, “It was Gabriel who said that, not me. So don’t blame me for it. If you want, then talk to him about it!” “I was here before you were! I was the first female Ravena in Halimhim!” A snicker. “Ha! If Gabriel paid no attention to you back when you were the only female Ravena here, what more now that I am here?” “What’s that supposed to mean? You think you’re more beautiful than me?” “Why, compared to you, yes! By far!” Bitch! Savannah then threw her whole body weight at her rival. But Alwina dodged her blows with skill. She put forth her arm behind Savannah and swung it backwards, so that it hit the latter’s shoulder-blades. Savannah fell face first on the ground. Now their prince entered the scene. He pushed Alwina behind him protectively and rebuked Savannah. “Don’t be angry with me,” she pleaded. “You know it was Alwina who started the fight!” Gabriel knew better. “If I ever see you hurting Alwina again,” he told her, “I won’t just make you human again. I’ll throw you out and leave your body for the vultures to eat!” Aguiluz was now on his feet. “So is it true?” he asked. “Is it true that Ravenum is my father? Tell me it’s not true!” But the crestfallen look on Dakila’s face told him otherwise. And his reply was devastating. “I can’t imagine how they found out about it,” he replied. The Sugo came to him and fell at his feet. “What’s that supposed to mean?” he cried. “Is it true?” “I will tell you everything from the beginning,” said Dakila. “An oracle had declared that a son of a High Council elder would one day become ruler of Avila. I had a child, but it was a girl, Paloma. Daragit and Lumbas were unmarried. The only other member of the Council who was married was Ravenum. So it was likely that the son would be his. “But Ravenum and his wife could not have children. So he involved himself in extramarital affairs in the hope of having a son. He took advantage of Salimbay too, his wife’s lady-in-waiting. Salimbay became pregnant and confided in me what had happened. But by then, Ravenum had become very wicked, selfish and ambitious. So I decided to hide the fact from him. “To save Salimbay’s honor, I decided to create a father for the child. With the help of the fairies, I was able to see the future likeness of the child, and formed a Mulawin in his image: Aguilar who would stand as husband and father to the woman and her son.” Aguiluz then gathered himself up – with effort – and drew away. “How could you have done this to me?” he asked. “Every single day, you saw me in Avila. How were you able to keep silent when you knew the truth all along? If you had told me the truth sooner, I might have been able to accept it. But you, someone I trusted and respected so much, did this? Now I feel I have been lied to all along. Everything about my life has been a lie! “I do not belong here in Avila,” he told them. “My place is not here. I have no more wings, no more ugatpak, no more Alwina. Don’t expect any more from me.” He turned and limped away, looking back only once to say, “Don’t you dare follow me.” But he wouldn’t be gone for long. The trio of Bagwis, Rasmus and Veronica were now only a day’s walk away from Lagaslaw. But they did not know it yet. They were talking on the way that evening. “I have done you both so much wrong,” Rasmus told the couple. “Come to think of it, what I’ve done is unforgivable.” “That’s in the past now,” Veronica answered. “Don’t dwell on it.” Bagwis then asked, “If you don’t mind… what made you decide to turn your back on your father?” A pause. “I am not the son of Ravenum,” Rasmus answered. “I am not a son of darkness. So there is no reason for me not to turn and seek the light.” But did he really want to find the light? Half dozen Ravena soldiers patrolling the area spotted them. “There you are!” they shouted, rushing toward Bagwis and Veronica. Rasmus sprang to the fugitives’ defense. “You’ll have to come through me first!” he told the soldiers. Then his claws flew across the air, cutting down red guards here and there until all lay dead at his feet. The Mulawin couple thanked him, but it was nothing to him. Killing was just a matter of routine for such a hardened and brutal warrior. Something else caught his eye. A shimmering green glow farther away from there. Only Rasmus had noticed it. Walking over, he picked up the object and realized that it was a shining green binhi. A full century ago, the Mulawin tree had yielded green binhi as its fruit. Rasmus had stolen it along with the Balasik. Now, a hundred years later, only one of it remained. It was the last of the four seeds he had given Lourdes so long ago in exchange for his ugatpak. Because of that, Lourdes had forsaken Veronica who then became the Ravena queen. The first binhi had restored Bagwis’ sight; the second saved Pagaspas from death, and the third: Gabriel. The fourth and last one had gone into a river, found its way to Terong, and then to Gabriel, who lost it in the waterfall. Now, by luck or fate or destiny, it was back in the hands of the thief who had first stolen it. The seed’s emerald glow looked so enticing, as if beckoning Rasmus to claim it for himself. Very powerful, he thought. I could use this for… “Rasmus?” Bagwis called. A moment’s hesitation. The call of darkness made one last attempt to get his attention. But its voice was failing. Rasmus walked back towards his companions and showed them what he had found. “You are the ones who should keep it,” he told them. Bagwis took it from his hand. “The green binhi!” he and Veronica exclaimed. “I am a son of darkness,” Aguiluz lamented. He had gone to another part of the forest to pray. The Sugo was on his knees, weeping and bewailing his fate. “Aguiluz,” a voice from above called to him. Aguiluz looked around to see who was calling him. Before him stood a tree that was aglow as if by fire. Yet neither its branches nor its leaves were catching fire. Perhaps he was dreaming. “Is that the Lord calling me?” he asked. And the voice answered, “Yes, Aguiluz. It is I. You do not need to see Me to know it. You only need to believe.” “Forgive me,” the Sugo said. “Forgive me for everything. I have always tried to do what is asked of me But in spite of that, I get nothing in return and everything I love has been taken away from me. What should I do now? What do you want me to do?” “Nothing that has happened escapes Me,” said the voice. “Nothing comes to pass without My blessing. Now I will use these tragedies to make the way for peace; every trial as a path to salvation. I will turn your sorrows into joys. I wile take your weakness and turn it into strength. I will take the hatred you feel and turn it into love. “ But like an unwilling Biblical prophet, Aguiluz protested, “I no longer feel worthy of being your emissary. I am a son of Ravenum, a son of darkness!” “No, you are not,” answered the voice of the Father. ”You are not a son of darkness, Aguiluz. You were brought up in love. The blood of an ally of darkness may run through your veins, but I can see that your heart is pure. Therefore, more than anyone else’s, you are MY SON. “Now, it is up to you whether to linger in your state of hopelessness, or to rise up again and be strong.” Aguiluz bowed in awe before his Almighty Father. “Forgive me for my weakness and lack of faith.” And God replied, “You must forgive, Aguiluz, and you must complete your mission. For now, more than ever, the world needs you… Sugo.” “The fruit!” Aguiluz cried. “What should be done with the fruit?” “Avila,” was the reply. “You must all return to Avila.”
 

2 Comments:

Blogger South Rock said...

Only 4 more episodes to go!!!

:)

3/29/2005 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ayisha said...

Hi southrock! finally i got to see your face! brilliant narration of this episode! how were u able to do it? are u really a writer? were u born in the states or what? super galing mong magsulat! I hope u can find time to answer my questions.

4/26/2005 05:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Surf safe and secure. Get Firefox now.

Latest Topics