Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Savannah Makes Her Mark.

Episode for Nov 9, 2004, Tuesday.
Mulagat’s heroic deed added to the band’s growing debt of gratitude toward him. Linang had witnessed it too, her fear for her son replaced by motherly pride and joy. But this pride was accompanied by a new worry: that her long-kept secret would now be revealed. The group wanted to know how Mulagat got his wings, of course. Reluctantly, he told them, “I am only half-Encantado. The other half is Mulawin. My fairy-mother has forbidden me to show my wings to anyone. For, like you, we are not allowed to fall in love with those who are not of our kind. I do not know who my father is.” Asked about his wings, he said, “Fairies have an aura that protects them from rain, so my wings are waterproof. But I’ve never learned to fly well because I have to hide it when I’m at home.” Since the bridge was now lost, Alwina asked if he could fly each of them over the cliff back whence they had come. But Dakila dismissed this idea, noting Mulagat’s inexperience in flying. There was more bad news: the vital Hiyas was gone. And with the bridge gone, there was no going back now to the old path to Avila. They must find another route now. Dakila was very angry. “We have lost our way,” he told them, “all because of an apparition that only Alwina and Aguiluz had seen.” Habagat had been watching them with the Hunyango. He was disappointed that the evil Diwata had not put the group to death when he had already delivered them to her hands. So he reported back to Ravenum in Halconia. “Do not worry,” Ravenum assured his new favorite. “It is as it should be. Rasmus’ failures have proven many times that the Mulawin cannot be killed instantly by force.” Then he laughed and said, “If we cannot do so, then we shall kill them but slowly.” After Habagat departed, the two sidekicks, Tuka and Kuwak, asked for an audience with their dark lord, for the former wanted to know about her missing child. “How dare you approach me?” roared Ravenum. “Give up all hope of finding your little troublemaker alive for she will die. Or is it that you’d like to go to the other world first, so you could welcome her when she gets there?” Tuka and Kuwak looked at each other, and she said nervously, “No, thank you, sir. Never mind if I’m late!” and they both scurried out. In Tierra Fuego, a Ravena soldier brought Savannah before the king and queen, reporting that she had tried to escape and avoid work. Incensed, Vultra declared that the girl must now pay in full for her disobedience. “Kill that puny lowlander!” she ordered. But Savannah cried out: “Will you kill your own daughter?” Both Rasmus and Vultra could not believe what they heard. They looked at each other. “Is that true?” Vultra asked. “Is she my long-lost child? The Balasik told me everything.” Instant fear seized the king, but he did not show it. “So you already know about it,” he said, “and you never told me!” “Don’t turn it around on me!” she replied. “It wasn’t me who lied but you! Now I must get to the bottom of this. And if you dare to stop me, I promise you will never see me again!” Saying no more to him, she spread her wings and took flight. Rasmus went over to Savannah, so furious that it seemed his armor would burst. He knew that this could not be Vultra’s daughter - where were her wings? The king made as if to kill the girl, but he didn’t. “If you kill me and I do turn out to be her daughter,” Savannah said, “your wife will leave you. You’re so pathetic!” So he stayed his hand. Rasmus’ anger was great, but his fear of losing his wife was greater. In the forest, Gabriel reproached Terong for egging him on to Paloma. He did not want to get her hopes up. Neither of the two could understand him. “Are you tired?” asked Paloma at one point. “I’ll carry you!” “Please stop it,” he entreated her. “I can take care of myself.” Hurt by this reproof, Paloma walked out. Mulawin women, whey they love, give everything to their men, Paloma told Terong. But Gabriel seemed only embarrassed by it. Meanwhile, Vultra betook herself to the woods where no one could see her. Alone, she fretted over what to do. Oh, no, could that ugly and impudent louse be her child? Why could she not feel anything for her? But she calmed herself down. “There’s only one way to be sure,” she thought. “Proof. I need proof.” And proof was just what Savannah would work on next. In the women’s quarters, she heated a needled over a candle. Then she showed her mother the paper with the “A” sketch in it, begging her to burn the same mark into her skin. The faint-hearted woman protested, but Savannah insisted that their lives depended on it, so she did so. Now Alwina and Aguiluz felt very guilty over their mistake. Each wanted to take the blame and spare the other. Aguiluz came to Dakila and apologized. “I’m ready to accept any punishment you impose on me,” he said. “Punishment is not the issue,” said Dakila. “The point is, your feelings cloud your judgment when it comes to Alwina. You can’t protect her.” Alwina, too, wanted to take responsibility and said sorry to Aguiluz, whom she saw toying with his flute (not that he could play on it or wanted to). “This is my fault,” she said. “Don’t blame yourself,” he told her. “It’s my feelings for you that got me into trouble, not you.” But Dakila was already thinking of other things. He and Bagwis bade the other Mulawin to hug trees for the time being and gather strength before embarking on their new journey. The others asked one another what this could mean. Later that night, Dakila summoned them all and delivered a speech: “With the bridge now gone, we can no longer find our way back to our former path. We must find a new path to Avila. Bagwis and I have sought in vain for a better way, but there is none. So we must now enter a place dreaded by all bird men. For there, there are no trees from which we may draw energy. But this place must be feared by all living things, for it is a waste-land devoid of all life. “Now, I could say that those who wish to turn back may do so now. But that is no longer possible. There is no turning back now. And I have faith that we will overcome this trial as we have all others thus far.” “Ah, Dakila, you’re always trying to scare us!” quipped the cheerful Dakdak. “This is just a walk in the park!” Dakila smiled at this bravado. “So! Are we ready?”
[EDITOR'S NOTE: You are viewing an unofficial Mulawin episode guide. Sorry, guys, but due to time constraints on my part, these summaries will have to be shorter next time.]
 

1 Comments:

Blogger nectar said...

so now they are going to moria! gandalf (dakila) and strider (bagwis) are apprehensive about having to pass by this place supposedly feared by all living things. geez, lately i'm getting a bit disappointed with the way the story is going, what with so many references to lotr... the council of elders, the nine walkers, the redhorn pass, and now moria. what's next? lorien? please, some originality naman!

11/10/2004 04:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Surf safe and secure. Get Firefox now.

Latest Topics